A diabetic emergency needs immediate medical help.
Check the casualty’s neck, wrist or ankle for a Medic Alert device.
- If the casualty is unresponsive, get medical help immediately.
- If the casualty is unconscious, place them into the recovery position and monitor their breathing until medical help takes over.
- If the casualty can tell you what he needs, help him take what is needed – usually sugar.
- If the casualty is confused about what he needs, give him something sweet to eat or drink i.e. sugar water (1/2 glass of water with 2 tablespoons of sugar), juice or a fizzy drink i.e. cola.
- Continue to monitor the casualty.
- Send for medical help if you have not done so already.
DO NOT confuse a diabetic emergency with drunkenness – many of the symptoms are the same.
A downloadable and printable infographic of this information can be found here.
Shop your Covid-19 prevention products here
As a non-profit organisation, St John depends on your generosity to sustain a variety of community health projects in South Africa
Your donation provides hope for healthier and brighter futures.