- Assess the scene. Gather any information about the suspected poison.
- Assess the casualty’s responsiveness.
- If casualty is responsive, call the National Poison Centre on 0861 555 777.
- Answer any questions and follow their advice on first aid.
- If the casualty is unresponsive, call for medical help i.e. an ambulance.
- If breathing has stopped START CPR. Check for poisonous material around the mouth first. Use a barrier device (face-shield).
- Place the unconscious breathing casualty into the recovery position.
- Monitor the casualty until medical help takes over.
- DO NOT let the casualty drink anything unless told to do so by the Poison Info Centre.
- NEVER make the casualty vomit unless told to do so by the Poison Info Centre.
- If the casualty is conscious, wipe poisonous or corrosive material from the casualty’s mouth and face and rinse out the mouth if necessary.
A downloadable and printable infographic of this information can be found here.
Buy your first aid kit online
As a non-profit organisation, St John depends on your generosity to sustain a variety of community health projects in South Africa
Your donation provides hope for healthier and brighter futures.